I heard about Quercetin for the flu, Covid healing and a bit more, but never really knew what it is. Here i summarised the Keys and benefits of this quirky sounding essential remedy from the worlds largest health and science platform Greenmedinfo.
Enjoy, i am Benjy your Green thumbed friend for health, healing, our evolution and regeneration!
Curated from: https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/quercetin-what-it-and-why-you-need-it?
What is it and where does it come from?
- quercetin – a potent antioxidant flavonoid offers significant therapeutic benefits against a wide range of conditions, from diabetes to DNA damage
- mostly found in onions, berries, citrus fruits, broccoli and grapes.
- One of the most well-known and studied flavonoids is quercetin, a flavonol mostly found in onions, berries, citrus fruits, broccoli and grapes.
A potent antioxidant
quercetin boasts of anti-inflammatory, anti-hypertensive, antiobesity and anti-atherosclerotic actions. Since free radicals figure into the development of diseases, quercetin holds promise for benefitting conditions such as high blood pressure, vascular disorders and metabolic syndrome.[ii]
Here is compelling evidence of the health benefits of quercetin.
Potential Anti-Diabetes Aid
Type 2 diabetes has been linked to oxidant stress caused by an unhealthy diet.
- [iii]Toona sinensis leaves, which are rich in quercetin, may reduce the risk of diabetes by reducing oxidative stress in the liver.
- Together with quinic acid, quercetin also helped ameliorate hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and insulin resistance in diabetic rats.[vi]
Protection From DNA Damage
quercetin is an ideal candidate to fight cancer due to its antioxidant and antiproliferative actions.[x]
Prevention and Treatment of Various Infections
- Hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulfate, curcumin and quercetin taken together were effective in preventing recurrent urinary tract infections in postmenopausal women.[xx]
- promising antiviral activity against two distinct species of Ebola, outbreaks of which occur frequently in African countries.[xix]
Read more about scientific proof of the therapeutic value and significance of quercetin across numerous health issues and conditions in the nearly 600 abstracts with quercetin research found on the GreenMedInfo.com database.